Davis Energy Group
We are writing to thank you for the work you did helping the future of our company. When you first met us, our partnership was frayed. There were unspoken issues that were delicate and not easily discussed. We needed an intermediary to show us how to broach these sensitive issues, express our thoughts and concerns, and craft a resolution.
In fairly short order, you identified the critical issues and enabled us to define them, put them in perspective and resolve them. You were a calming influence.
As a consequence, we are now communicating like partners we are. Together we have been able to make significant progress in planning for our Company’s future, as well as our own as individuals. Thank you for your efforts and effectiveness. We are happy to wholeheartedly recommend your services as a “business and planning consultant.
With best regards,
Mark J. Berman David Springer
President Founding Principal
During my time with Kelly, I have learned how to become a leader for A-Main Hobbies (and in life). I have expanded my knowledge in the realm of personality types, which has opened my eyes to people; understanding why they do the things they do. This has proven to be very successful at helping me understand situations from a different perspective. Not letting my ESTJ side get the better of me but at the same time, using that resource to get me where I need to be.
Along with the personality education, I’ve been learning how to incorporate, “Managing” with those characteristic types. This application has been extremely beneficial, helping me in life, and in the work place. Realizing, how to interact with the different life-types and why it’s important to change approaches. For instance, paying attention to the way a person absorbs information. Do they learn better by written explanation, or do they need hands-on? How do I effectively deliver the information so they, “get it.”
As our training continued, I was introduced to a systematic method that Kelly uses and found it essential for us as leaders, to deploy these methods with our employees. The goal for building an employee within the company is to make the following actions: First you Train, Second you Coach, Third you Counsel, and Fourth you terminate; Which makes 100% sense. Those 4 easy to-follow-steps changed my outlook and has shown me how I was interacting with employees and their development/success with the company. I admit, before Kelly came along, my perception towards employees making mistakes was, for the lack of a better word, harsh. Before, I would lay blame on the employee for incompetence, or laziness and even ignorance. But through Kelly’s teachings, I second-guess myself and wonder if the error was attributed to me – not teaching/coaching the employee correctly. Did that person really fail or did I fail in teaching them?
During our time together, Kelly has brought many lessons to the table. I could sit and write a novel, but I know we have to keep it short. J
In general, I feel a lot of my success is contributed to Kelly. But, I know if you were to ask him if feels he played a vital role in my success. He would simply say, “I didn’t do anything, it was always in you. I just helped you realize it.”
I have watched a dynamic shift with A-Main Hobbies. Since day one, Kelly has helped develop a systematic employee structure. Such as the employee hierarchy, establishing who does what and their place within the company. Coupling that with effective leaders in each position, I have seen departments mature into well running machines. Flowing with the business and sharing A-Main Hobbies mission.
However, this was no easy adventure. Being fresh to our company, Kelly could easily pick out the manipulators and also see where we lacked in leadership, communication and interaction. To be honest, I think we all saw it. But due to friendships that have developed over the years, it was difficult for our leaders to take corrective action since this is a very uncomfortable side of business. These are the ways that Kelly has brought value to A-Main Hobbies.
1. Kelly has helped us with employees and realizing that business is business, it’s nothing personal; which means removing those from the company who do not want to share our belief.
2. Kelly has helped us put the correct leaders in place. Leaders who will take the department to the next level and help us reach our business goals.
3. Kelly has helped us with communication. In our weekly meetings, staying on topic and not going down rabbit holes. Bringing up valuable information that is relevant to the team and making everyone feel like they are truly a leader over their department.
4. Kelly has brought company uniformity; recording our daily business practice down so we can educate all employees in the same manner with accurate knowledge.
5. Kelly has shown us to teach and delegate responsibilities; taking on larger responsibilities for ourselves, while measuring out appropriately those lesser involved duties to our subordinates. Making employees feel accountable and empowered.
6. Kelly has taught us about personalities; a very valuable lesson. We all learned how to receive our energy, how we receive information, how we decide or reach conclusions, and the lifestyle a person adopts. Knowing the different personality types helped me understand why people do the things they do. Realizing this, I know how to interact with people accordingly.
7. Kelly has helped us recognize our “Mission” and make it a focal point for the company and employees who make up our company.
8. Kelly has brought “Core Values” to fruition. In sales, the core values made sense the moment I heard them as you need to have those qualities if you want to be successful at it. But for others who have never been exposed to that way of thinking, it makes it so much easier for the whole company to be involved and believe in those same universal values.
Leif Ostberg VP
Berkeley Forge and Tool, Inc
Kelly Graves started working with us during a challenging time in our industry and while our company was at full capacity. Many things needed to happen and, as usual, there was limited time, and resources were scarce. Kelly helped us break our larger projects into manageable weekly timeframes with very clear objectives. He then facilitated conversations between me and my management team – objective: figure out what could be accomplished, how we could accomplish it, and who would be responsible for doing the actual work.. .including who needed to be available to support those people or their departments. More often than not, we hit our weekly objectives. This process seems simple on paper but it was not, since many of our longterm employees didn’t like or want the change. With this process – and Kelly’s consistent help we were able to make significant progress in areas that were stagnant for the last 4-7 years.
For organizations that are going through difficult and major change initiatives and need to make tough decisions and consistent progress, I would recommend Kelly Graves to help you with your plan and to ensure that you execute in an effective and timely manner.
Berkeley Forge & Tool, Inc.